Wednesday, November 09, 2005

No Star at this Sonoma County Starbucks

Anyone who knows me realizes that I drink anywhere from three to five containers of Starbucks' Black Venti Iced Tea daily. On bad days, and good days, I usually increase that amount by a few. On Sunday I had to attend an olive harvest event in Sonoma County, California and was in a bit of rush to get to my destination on time. Harvesting olives for a major Olive Oil producer in trade for a fabulous lunch for over 70 people is not something you want to be late for. Every bucket counts.

I decided that I would stop into the Starbucks store on Sonoma Highway a get two iced teas because I was in for a long day. With five employees behind the counter, the team at Starbucks was handling the rush of coffee consumers very well. Let me interject here that the Howard's company has some of the most efficient, polite, customer service oriented associates in the industry. It is very seldom that someone in their organization is not totally focused on customer service.

After standing in a line for about 30 seconds, I was asked by an associate if they could get a drink started for me. I ordered my tea. The associate grabbed two clear plastic, venti containers, and wrote my order- Black tea, no water, no sugar, no shaking, on the side of the cup. She then proceeded to ask five people behind me if they wanted to order. On each cup she wrote their orders and systematically placed the cups inside of mine. By the time she got to the end of the line, she had about five drink orders stacked in her hand. She positioned the hot drink cups near the Barrista's and proceeded to make my two iced teas. Strangely, she did not put covers on the cups. Instead she handed them to one of the two Barristas working the espresso machine.

After waiting about ten seconds I asked if the Barrista could lid the containers and give me my Iced Teas. She answered "No." I couldn't get my drinks until everyone else did. I attempted to explain to her that my drinks were already made, and that in the cycle of drink life, they were getting diluted. She cared not.

When I asked for the manager's name, Mary Helen Billings told me she was the manager. When I once again asked for my drinks she said I had to wait my turn. I explained that I was out of turn because other cups, now in front of mine were actually behind me she didn't care.

I finally couldn't wait any longer and asked for my money back. Which I got, along with the card with the District Manager's name on it, but not before I was screamed at and pointed to with a rapidly waving finger.

Gary Lustig, District Manager for Starbucks called me back immediately on Sunday afternoon. A true professional, Lustig apologized profusely. I assured him that Billings was out of line but was probably cracking under the pressure of a busy store. She needs a customer service course, and also should cut down on the dobios which she apparently had been drinking all morning.

Calculating my trips to Starbucks to be over 3000 in the past three years, one bad experience is really a phenomenal record.

It's time for a Venti Black Tea, no water, no sugar, no shaking. And top alleviate any further aggrevation, I've brought my own lid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home